Fall Ochoco Creek Clean-up
The Rotary Club of Crook County is once again teaming up with Crook County Parks and Recreation, SOLVE, Deschutes Land Trust, Facebook, Crook County, Republic Services and Crooked Roots Brewing to do an in-stream cleanup of Ochoco Creek before winter sets in with higher waters.
CCPRD will help with logistics and collect the trash bags during the cleanup. Facebook is paying for the Coffee and food at registration, Republic Services is donating a 10 yard dumpster and Crook County is paying for the dumping fees at the landfill. Following the cleanup, volunteers will meet at Crooked Roots Brewing to celebrate our success. There will be complimentary finger foods and happy hour pricing on the brews.
We need your help! Volunteers are needed to do a thorough in-stream and bankside cleanup on October 16th. Our reach of Ochoco Creek to cleanup is Colmbs Flat to Gardner Street, within the city of Prineville. If you would prefer not to be in the Creek, there are lots of uplands that can use a clean-up too! Anything in the uplands ultimately ends up in the creek.
Due to the complexities of working in the creek, no one under 12 will be allowed to be in the Creek itself. Under 16 must be with a parent or guardian. A limited number of waders are available to be borrowed, let me know if you need waders.
If you would like to join us, here are a few things to know:
• Registration will begin at 11 at Pioneer Park (Elm and 2nd Street Street), and cleanup work will start as soon as teams are formed, briefed and outfitted with bags and pickers.
• Volunteers will work in teams of four, with two people staged on the bank in support and safety of those working in-stream.
• Each team will be assigned a section of Creek to focus on. We anticipate it will take less than 2 hours to thoroughly clean a section of the Creek.
• Trash bags, pickers and latex gloves will be provided.
• Bring rubber or other boots with traction for muddy and wet bank conditions, waders and neoprene gloves for those doing in-stream work, warm clothes, sunscreen, hat, eye protection/sunglasses, walking or wading stick for support.
• Be prepared for changing conditions, including winter weather and varying water levels.
Age Minimum (with Adult): 2+, Minimum Age:12+
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: