Statement of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
We believe that our mission, to bring Oregonians together to improve our environment and build a legacy of stewardship, is inclusive of ALL Oregonians, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation or socio economic background.
SOLVE seeks to actively create a space that is safe, welcoming, inclusive and affirming for all people to engage in environmental volunteerism. SOLVE is committed to the growth and expansion of an ever-evolving process to ensure equity, diversity and inclusion in Oregon. SOLVE’s current efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Post open positions to diverse job sites for recruitment when hiring employees in order to cast a wide net and support the diversification of our staff.
- Partner with culturally-specific organizations in order to better understand the needs of minority populations.
- Research cultural events across the state and get involved in them in order to meet and engage diverse populations rather than expecting people to seek us out.
- Build relationships with geographically diverse community leaders in order to introduce SOLVE’s mission and to determine community needs.
- Partner with other organizations that are taking action to reverse disparities among demographic lines in order to share best practices and support common connections.
- Conduct target outreach and engagement with under-served school classrooms in order to stop the cycle of disparate environmental access from a young age.
- Create and involve our organization in specific days of service, such as Women in Science Day and Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, in order to engage and honor diverse populations.
In this effort, SOLVE currently works with various universities, colleges, high schools, middle schools and elementary schools, alternative schools and SUN schools across Oregon.